Logo World Wine Passion WorldWinePassion.com Tasting Notes - Sodaccio di Montevertine 1997 - Wine - World Wine Passion

where passion meets taste

EN IT


follow us facebook twitter google+ rss feed


Wine makes a man more pleased with himself;
I do not say it makes him more pleasing to others


Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)
Year 6 | Sunday 28 May 2017

Tasting Notes - Sodaccio di Montevertine 1997

30 June 2015


TAGs: , , , , , ,

Newborn memories are knocking at the door of our mind; they want to spurt out and be consumed quickly, as if the pleasure of that meeting were to be quickly hidden behind a veil of silence. Its name is Sodaccio di Montevertine, the "younger" brother, but not too much in my opinion, of Pergole Torte, a wine that is the emblem of the territory of Radda in Chianti in Tuscany, Italy. Its first vintage was in 1981. History has it that the Sodaccio wine is Martino Manetti's attempt to put in a bottle the concept of "cru", where it usually identifies the highest quality of wine, commissioned by the famous Enoteca Pinchiorri (the vintages of '81 and '82 were exclusive to them, the remaining were put on the market).


A single vineyard of 1.5 hectares planted in 1972, south-south-east facing at a height of 380 and 420 m from sea level, on hard and stony calcareous soil, bordering the historic vineyard of Pergole Torte. It is a wine which only saw 12 springs until 1998, when the vineyard was eradicated as it had been destroyed by Esca grape disease, and has now been replanted by sangiovese for Pergole Torte.

The blending provided for 85% Sangiovese grapes and Canaiolo for the remaining 15%. Its fermentation and malolactic fermentation occurs in cement and it is aged for two years in barrels of 8, 10 and 12 hl. Production is around 10-12,000 bottles per year. Today they are collector's items.

The colour is a monochrome ruby, with suggestive light reflections, which, with every movement, glide between garnet and amaranth until closing in a carmine red. If you search, you will find a bouquet that goes beyond the sober and measured notes of earth and iron. There is also macerated violets and dried orange peel, broth and blood; there is that notes that ties it to the territory, perhaps Roman mint that grows abundantly in the countryside of Radda. In the mouth you will enjoy its fullness of taste, the maturity and warmth of the year, as well as a refreshing acidity that energizes, and sharp tannins and a clean finish that makes the pleasure complete.